If you do business in the EU, you have probably already heard about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It goes into effect on May 25, 2018, and if you have any customers in the EU, you must comply, or face hefty fines. While we are adding support for GDPR to AE in 2.8, most of the work you’ll need to do to make sure your netFORUM-powered WordPress site is compliant will involve changes to netFORUM, WordPress, and some other WordPress plugins you might be using. Here are some resources that can help you with that:
- Anonymization and data export features should be available in netFORUM soon – Check with your contact at Abila if you did not receive the notice about this.
- Community Brands is offering a live webinar on the topic, on March 29, and there will be a couple of GDPR sessions at Community Brands Xperience in May
- The WordPress core team is actively working on GDPR compliance
- Gravity Forums has some tips for making your forms GDPR-compliant
- Ninja Forms also has some tips for making forms conform with GDPR
- CodeinWP has a great overview of GDPR and how it relates to WordPress
- WooCommerce (owned by Automattic) also has a comprehensive overview of GDPR and WordPress
- There’s a WPGDPR plugin that can help you with compliance
- GDPR for WordPress is attempting to establish an industry standard
As always, you can contact us if you need some help with implementation.